Application Process – Eligibility and Round Dates
Please read the overview below of our eligibility and general guidelines before filling in the application form.
(These details may change from time to time, so we suggest that before applying you revisit this page.)
Before applying to The Harcourts Foundation, please check:
- Are you Eligible to apply?
- Do you meet the Guidelines for applying?
Are You Eligible to Apply?
The Harcourts Foundation – Legal Status
The Harcourts Foundation is an endorsed tax concession charity and Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) as of 1 April 2008 (ABN: 60 295 914 068). Being registered as a DGR enables The Harcourts Foundation to receive income tax deductible gifts and deductible contributions.
Under the terms of the Trust Deed of The Harcourts Foundation and Australian taxation laws, The Harcourts Foundation can only make grants to organisations with BOTH Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) and Tax Concession Charity (TCC) status. Accordingly, please ensure that your organization has BOTH DGR and TCC status before completing an application. (The Australian Government’s Australian Business Register Online (abr.business.gov.au) enables you to search your organisation’s name or ABN to see whether it is endorsed as a DGR and TCC.)
Special note re DGR Status: Your organisation must be EITHER endorsed as a DGR by the Australian Tax Office (ATO), or must be specifically named in the Income Tax Assessment Act 1977 as being a DGR.
- Activity Being Applied For: If your organisation has DGR status for one part of your activities, your application should only be directly related to that activity.
- Name of Applicant: If your organisation has more than one name, please ensure the application is made in the name which has the DGR status.
- Who is Applying for a Grant?: The organisation applying for a grant MUST be the organisation which will run the project for which the grant is being sought.
In order to complete your application, you will need to provide ALL of the following:
- A copy of your ‘Endorsement as a Deductible Gift Recipient’ certificate as issued by the ATO, OR details in which your organisation is named in Subdivision 30-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.
- A copy of your organisation’s ‘Notice of Endorsement for Charity Tax Concessions’ issued by the ATO on or after 1 July 2005. This notice will describe your organisation as a charitable institution, charitable fund, public benevolent institution or health promotion charity.
- The item number in which the applicant organisation is named in Subdivision 30-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.
- Confirmation of your Australian Business Number (ABN) where shown on the application form.
Please Note – The Harcourts Foundation cannot make grants to other ancillary funds or to prescribed private funds.
If your notice of endorsement as a DGR states the ‘provision for gift deductibility is item 2 of the table in section 30-15 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997’, your organisation will be an ancillary fund and therefore not entitled to receive grants.
Do you meet the GUIDELINES to apply?
- Grant applications must be for a specific event, project, item, or initiative.
- Requests for the event, project, item, or initiative must be scheduled to occur within four months of the upcoming Grant decision meeting date (meetings are held in the month following the end of the quarter).
- Grants will not be given for items already purchased or events/initiatives/projects already held.
- If the Grant is not used for the purpose for which it was applied, we will request that you return it so we can provide it to another deserving group.
- We may ask for supporting documents such as quotes, references etc.
- If you are a branch of an organisation where another branch has been successful in achieving a Grant from us in the past, this does not mean you automatically qualify for a Grant. Each application will be considered independently based on funds available and circumstances at the time.
- If you are successful, please do not apply within the next 18 months, as we would like to assist other organisations.
- You may apply as a national or regional organisation, however your application must be for a specific community event, project, item, or initiative that fits the criteria.
Please do not submit funding requests for:
- Individual needs – our focus is on supporting as many people as possible within our communities.
- Overseas or other travel costs – (individuals or groups) unless a direct community benefit can be shown.
- Religious, political, lobby causes/activities.
As our Purpose is “To provide support that helps, grows, and enriches our communities”, we have a current focus to match:
- As most of the funding for The Harcourts Foundation is generously provided by our Harcourts offices, we will only consider applications from groups for a specific event, project, item, or initiative where Harcourts has an office.
- Priority is also given to those areas where the Harcourts office is currently a financial contributor to The Harcourts Foundation (Note: many of our offices fund and support a huge range of community initiatives through their own offices as well as through The Harcourts Foundation).
- In the event that we receive more applications that meet the criteria than we have funds available, we will prioritise those applicants which demonstrate their grant will have the widest community impact.
(As we develop over time, our focus may change to reflect the focus and interests of those contributing to and guiding The Harcourts Foundation.)
We look forward to growing the contributions we make to our communities and to funding as many applicants as possible, however please understand if we are unable to support your particular request.
- We are now in Round 48 (1 October – 3 February 2021 )
- All applications must be received before 11.59 pm on 3 February 2021
- Any applications received on 4 February 2021 will be considered in the following round (Round 49)
- Application status to be advised by 6 weeks from the end of the grant round.
Change to Australian Grant Rounds
To better align the Harcourts Foundation between Australia and New Zealand, we will be changing the dates of our Grant Rounds. Grant Round 48 will be unique and will be open from 1 October 2020 until 3 February 2021. Grant Round 49 will then open for applications from 4 February. We thank you for your patience during this transition period and we look forward to receiving your applications.
Grant Application Rounds 2021/22:
All applications must be received by the last day of the dates noted below.
- Grant Round 49 – 4 February 2021 to 3 May 2021
- Grant Round 50 – 4 May 2021 to 3 August 2021
- Grant Round 51 – 4 August 2021 to 3 November 2021
- Grant Round 52 – 4 November to 3 February 2022.