Before You Begin
Please see below for the overview of our general guidelines before filling out the Application Form. (Please note that these details will change from time to time, so we suggest you revisit this page if reapplying)
Our Current Focus
We have a clear focus on providing grants to reputable community-based organisations which need funding for projects and initiatives designed to benefit as many people as possible. We will prioritise applications that demonstrate that their grant will have the widest community impact. (As we develop over time, our focus may change to reflect the focus and interests of those contributing to and guiding the Harcourts Foundation).
- Grant applications must be for a specific event, project, item, or initiative.
- Requests for the event, project, item or initiative must be scheduled to occur within four months of receiving the grant.
- Grants will not be given for items already purchased or events/initiatives/projects already held.
- If the grant is not used for the purpose for which it was applied, the funds MUST be returned so we can provide the
grant to another group elsewhere.
- If you are a branch of an organisation or charity where another branch has been successful in achieving a grant from us in the past:
- this does not mean you automatically qualify for a grant; and
- each application will be considered independently based on funds available and circumstances at the time.
- Please ensure you provide as much information as possible which supports your request and how you intend to use the grant.
- Please attach a quote with your grant application which matches the dollar amount you are requesting. Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications without a quote.
2. Primary Objectives
- The advancement of social and community welfare in New Zealand
- The relief of poverty in New Zealand
- The care, support and protection of the aged, children, and young people and people with disability in New Zealand
- The promotion of community development to enhance social and economic participation in New Zealand
- The promotion and fostering of art and culture in New Zealand
- The promotion of education in New Zealand including the establishment and support of schools, universities and other educational establishments
- The provision of facilities for the education of pupils of schools, universities or other education establishments
3. Please do not apply if:
- Your grant application request is for any of the following:
- Individual needs – such as salaries and wages. Our focus is on supporting as many people as possible within our communities.
- Administrative or operational costs.
- Overseas or other travel costs.
- Religious, political, or hobby causes or activities.
- Marketing/advertising (i.e. printing).
- The purpose for which the funds are sought doesn’t fit into the Foundation’s objectives.
- You are not a registered charity (not including schools).
- We are now in Round 49 (4th February 2021 – 5th May 2021)
- All applications must be received before 11.59 pm on the 5th May 2021
- Any applications received on the 6th May will be considered in the following round (Round 50)
- Decisions are due to be made by 2 weeks after the round closes.
Application Rounds 2021
- Round 49 (4th February – 5th May)
- Round 50 (6th May – 4th August)
- Round 51 (5th August – 3rd November)